10-year-old Boy Dies After Consuming Supermarket Burger

best-black-bean-burgers-2

A French boy aged 10, who fell gravely ill in 2011 after consuming a beef burger from supermarket discounter Lidl that was infected with E.coli bacteria, has died of complications stemming from his poisoning, the family’s lawyer said.

The boy, Nolan, died on Saturday “as a consequence of his poisoning”, the family’s lawyer Florence Rault told AFP on Sunday.

Lidl’s French arm said in a tweet on Monday: “We share the pain of Nolan’s family and will seek to assure our support during their suffering.”

Rault said that Nolan had not “ceased to suffer” after consuming the burger in June 2011. A dozen other children were also poisoned from steaks purchased from Lidl at the time, but Nolan suffered by far the most severe effects.

“His limbs became deformed, his bones would break and he had to undergo different kinds of surgeries. He could not eat, swallow, speak or move because he had no more ability to coordinate,” she said.

Nolan, who was just under two at the time of the poisoning, was left paralysed and mentally handicapped. He is the only one of the victims to have died.

Suffering from diabetes, he was fed by a tube and had to take medication several times a day with frequent stays in hospital, Rault said.

“His body finally gave up… as a result of all the pathologies which only got worse,” she said.

(AFP)

For more on News follow us on Instagram @OnoBello | Twitter: OnoBello | Facebook: OnoBello Magazine

Leave your views in comments box below

Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *