The Nigerian Army said it had apprehended three suspected Boko Haram commanders, killed 22 others, and rescued 1, 275 hostages after a joint clearance operation with Cameroonian troops along Nigeria-Cameroon border in Borno, reports NAN
Col. Sani Usman, Acting Director of Public Relations of Nigerian Army, said this in a statement issued to newsmen on Tuesday in Maiduguri.
“Troops of 152 and 155 Task Force Battalions of Operation Lafiya Dole in conjunction with troops of Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF) from Cameroon, conducted a massive joint clearance operation on suspected Boko Haram terrorists camps on Monday along Nigeria-Cameroon borders.
“The unprecedented clearance operation swept through over 10 suspected terrorists hideouts along the border,’’ Usman said.
“Twenty two terrorists were killed, three Ameers (terrorists commanders) were arrested and 1,275 abducted persons were rescued,’’ Usman said.
He named those apprehended as Malam Lawal Abba, Malam Hisna and Malam Gana Shatte.
“During the operation, the troops cleared Nbaga, Bula, Dabube, Ybiri, Greya and Suduwa towns and other adjoining settlements.
“The towns and settlements were occupied by fleeing Boko Haram terrorists who escaped from villages previously cleared by troops of the Nigerian Army.
“The troops also rescued 1,275 persons held hostage by the terrorists.
“The rescued persons are being administered and screened by 152 Task Force Battalion pending onward movement to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) camps.
“It is gratifying to note that the operation was a huge success as there was no casualty or injury on the side of the troops,’’ Usman added.
According to The Guardian, the army also disclosed yesterday that it had neutralised the terrorist sect.
The Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt. Gen. Yusuf Tukur Buratai, stated this yesterday when he came to the Maxwell Khobe Cantonment of the 3 Armoured Division Jos, where he commissioned 60 renovated blocks
General Buratai said that as far as Boko Haram was concerned, “the Nigerian military had done a lot and is still doing more to totally uproot Boko Haram insurgency from Nigeria. “All right, I want to assure you that things will normalise very soon,” he said.
On the displaced people by the terrorists who are in different rehabilitation camps being handled by the defence headquarters, the COAS said that the military authorities had established the camps, adding that “all those who have surrendered have been cleared to come for de – radicalisation in order to ensure that they become normal people and be useful to the society.”
Meanwhile, Borno State Governor, Kashim Shettima has also declared the state free of terror, reports Vanguard.
Making this declaration while visiting Muhammad Sidi, the Director General of the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) in Abuja yesterday, the Governor said 10 months ago, one could not travel for 10 kilometres without encountering terrorists.
“Yes, we still have occasional hiccups, but Boko Haram has been so decimated that they can no longer threaten the corporate existence of Nigeria,” he added.
He noted that peace was gradually returning to the state, expressing optimism that by year-end, all internally displaced persons, IDPs, would have returned to their homes.
Leave your views in comments box below.