The British Minister of State for Foreign Affairs, Baroness Anelay, arrived Nigeria on Tuesday, 9th February to discuss ways of addressing the problems of sexual violence arising in the fight against insurgency and other sundry issues.
A statement by Joe Abuku, Press Officer, British High Commission in Abuja, said that the United Kingdom was providing £6.7 million of humanitarian support to help those affected by Boko Haram insurgency.
The statement added that 60 per cent of UK’s Department for International Development(DFID’s) £222million development budget for Nigeria, was spent in northern Nigeria.
It said that Anelay, who is also the UK Prime Minister’s Special Representative for Preventing Sexual Violence in Conflict (PSVI), would hold high level discussions with government officials in Nigeria during the visit.
According to the statement, discussions will hold on how to better ensure the protection of civilians in the fight against Boko Haram.
The minister will also meet with a number of civil society activists and Non Governmental Organisations(NGOs), UN Agencies and the Red Crossto discuss the importance of protecting civilians in the fight against insurgency, and rendering assiantance to affected areas.
“The minister will meet with `the Bring Back Our Girls” Campaigners and reiterate the importance of preventing gender based violence in conflict.
“She will also visit UK sponsored projects that work to reduce intra-community conflict and violence against women and girls, promote community-government security dialogue and improve access to schooling,” the statement added.
The statement said it is estimated that over 2.2 million people had been displaced and over 14.8 million people affected by the Boko Haram insurgency.
Leave your views in comments box below.