The Federal Government has revealed that various aircrafts are in the process of evacuating stranded Nigerians from Malaysia, Thailand and Egypt to Nigeria.
The Nigerians In Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) disclosed the latest development in seperate tweets on Friday and Saturday.
“Chartered @airpeace flight APK-7813 conveying Stranded Nigerians from Malaysia and Thailand departing Kaula Lumpur to Abuja and Lagos today with Evacuees from Malaysia and Thailand onboard,” one of the tweets said.
This is the first evacuation from both countries since the coronavirus pandemic instigated lockdowns across the world, according to NIDCOM. The flight is expected to depart at 7am and first arrive at the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Abuja, before proceeding to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos.
According to NIDCOM, all evacuees have tested negative to COVID-19 and will proceed on a 14-day self-isolation on arrival.
Chartered @airpeace flight APK-7813 conveying Stranded Nigerians from Malaysia and Thailand depating Kaula Lumpur to Abuja and Lagos today with Evacuees from Malaysia and Thiland onboard.
— Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (@nidcom_gov) July 11, 2020
Meanwhile, on Friday, the commission confirmed the evacuation of two hundred and seventy Nigerians stranded in Cairo, Egypt.
The agency said the evacuees who had tested negative to COVID-19, will arrive at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja by 6:00 pm Nigeria time.
It also explained that there are two foreign nationals aboard the Egypt Air bringing the Nigerians homes. Their return comes exactly one week after eighty six Nigerians arrived the country from Sudan.
270 Stranded Nigerians departed Cairo Egypt via @eayptair for Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja with two other Nationals.
The flight is expected to arrive around 6:00 pm local time today.
— Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (@nidcom_gov) July 10, 2020
Thousands of Nigerians have been evacuated back home from across the world since the pandemic disrupted world travel.
In early June, the federal government said it has spent N169 million on the evacuation of Nigerians returning from overseas. Since then, hundreds more have been returned to the country.
For more News, follow us on Instagram @OnoBelloMedia @OBStreetStyle | Twitter: OnoBello | Facebook: OnoBello Magazine
Leave your views in comments box below