#EndSARS: Governor Sanwo-Olu Visits Lekki Mass Shooting Victims, Orders Investigation

Sanwo-Olu Lekki Shooting OnoBello

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Wednesday visited the victims of the mass shooting carried out by soldiers at the Lekki Toll Gate #EndSARS protest ground in Lagos state.

Taking to Twitter on Tuesday, hours after military officers fired live bullets at the protesters in a bid to disperse them from the venue, Sanwo-Olu condemned the shooting  after he visited the victims who sustained various degrees of gunshot wounds as a result of the action.

“This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger,” he said on Twitter, sharing images from his hospital visits.

Although, he was silent on the number of fatalities, the governor explained that at least 28 people were injured, out of which 10 victims are being treated at the General Hospital, 11 at Reddington, and four hospitalised at Vedic medical facility.

The governor confirmed that the victims sustained mild to moderate levels of injuries, but two were receiving intensive medical care. He added that three patients have so far been discharged from the hospital, while 25 others were on admission at the time of this report.

On why it took him long to react to the shooting, Governor Sanwo-Olu said he had to prioritise the welfare of the victims of the unfortunate incident. “This is the toughest night of our lives as forces beyond our direct control have moved to make dark notes in our history, but we will face it and come out stronger,” he said.

The governor also gave an assurance that the state government would continue to monitor and ensure that all the injured victims were given the best care. Sanwo-Olu also called for calm across the state.

He disclosed in a recent statement signed by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso that an investigation has been ordered into the incident and that he has ordered security agents not to arrest anyone on account of the curfew.

Speaking further, the governor reiterated his administration’s efforts in securing the lives of Lagosians and pleaded with them to stay calm.

The incident comes hours after the Lagos State Government declared a 24-hour curfew as part of efforts to stop the violence which had broken out in some parts of the state by criminal elements who have been hijacking the protests.

For more News, follow us on Instagram @OnoBelloMedia @OBStreetStyle | Twitter: OnoBello | Facebook: OnoBello Magazine


Leave your views in comments box below

Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *