#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Says CCTV Cameras Were Not Uninstalled From Lekki Toll Gate

Governor Sanwo-Olu OnoBello

Lagos governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has denied claims that he ordered the uninstallation of CCTV cameras at the Lekki tollgate before the military crackdown on #EndSARS protesters on Tuesday.

Discussing the recent events in the state in an interview with Arise TV, Sanwo-Olu on Thursday also debunked the rumor that he abetted the federal government’s plan to attack the peaceful demonstrators following the backlash the incident has generated.

“I will just say the truth of what happened. Nobody ordered,” he said during the broadcast. “I called the managing director of  LCC  that night when I saw the pictures and what he said to me was that because of the curfew that had been announced, they took a decision that they will take out installations that were critical to them.

“That camera that you saw is not a security camera, it’s not a motion camera. It’s a laser camera for vehicles. When you are approaching the toll plaza, you would remember that there is a camera that is at the level of your car. What that camera does is that it picks the tags and number plates of cars approaching the toll plaza. It’s an infrared camera and not a security camera.”

He continued, “Security cameras for the Lekki toll plaza are still available and these are some of the footage that we’ll be using for our investigation. Security cameras are installed on top of the towers and they are there, I have seen them they are live and they are still recording and nobody can touch them.”

“The cameras that were pulled off were a decision that the local personnel of the company took in conjunction with their managing director. The security cameras are still intact and these are things that we can leave open for citizens to come and verify.”

 

The governor said the footage of the surveillance cameras will be made available to a properly constituted investigative panel which will be set up on Monday as evidence so it can be properly investigated.

“We will drop this as evidence so that experts can review and see what kind of cameras are these that were shown in the footage. I think that is the honest and truthful position of that,” he said.

Sanwo-Olu insisted he did not give the order to turn off CCTV and lights at the scene. “Nobody ordered the removal of cameras at the Lekki tollgate. The MD of LCC said because of the curfew, they made the decision to take out installations. The cameras you saw are not security or motion cameras, they are laser cameras for vehicles,” he said.

On a viral photo splashed across social media of a man carrying disconnected cameras away from the Lekki toll gate, Sanwo-Olu said: “the cameras you saw are not security or motion cameras, they are laser cameras for vehicles.”

He added that the company in charge of electricity at the toll gate “put out the lights because of the curfew that the state government put in place.”

“There’s no communication that would reflect that we influenced them. That was a decision that a corporate organisation took and said that because of the curfew, they are taking down their LED screen from the toll plaza.”

For more News, follow us on Instagram @OnoBelloMedia @OBStreetStyle | Twitter: OnoBello | Facebook: OnoBello Magazine


Leave your views in comments box below

Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *