#EndSARS: Sanwo-Olu Says He Hasn’t Spoken To Buhari ‘Directly’ Since Lekki Shootings

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu OnoBello

Two days after soldiers opened fire on peaceful protesters at Lekki toll gate, Lagos governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has not yet spoken to President Muhammad Buhari.

Recall that the governor confirmed the attack on Wednesday, noting that there were no fatalities. However Amnesty International said in a report that twelve people were killed, but that figure could be much higher.

President Buhari, who has said little about the protests engulfing the country, did not mention the Lekki shootings or the unrest that followed the next day but issued a call for calm and vowed police reforms on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, there’s been several calls for him to address the nation in the wake of the massacre, both locally and international.

During his interview with Arise News on Thursday, he said, ” made phone calls to the president twice on Wednesday. I haven’t spoken to him directly but I actually did call to speak to him. Maybe some time today, that might happen.”

There were also several accusations of the uninstallation of CCTV security cameras at the Lekki toll gates, where protesters had been camped for two weeks by government officials. Other have also alleged that electricity was cut to prevent evidence emerging of the violence to which he also debunked.

The report backs up footage and images on social media that showed violence against protesters in pitch darkness. Sanwo-olu, however, said he will continue to work with security operatives to restore law and order in the state.

“Lagos has been the most peaceful part of the country for decades and we wont throw that away just because of the ugliness happening,” he continued,I am appealing to our citizens to speak up so we can get the youth and protesters off the street and order will be returned to the state.”

“Once we see the streets are cleared up and all the agitation and high nerves have gone down, we might slow down the curfew by tomorrow or next tomorrow at the latest.

“This has gone beyond #EndSARS. How did we get to a place where people are destroying our heritage…destroying brand new public transportation busses that are meant to make lives easier?”

“We need to come together, now more than ever. We need to re-engage ourselves and heal deep wounds we have created for ourselves,” he concluded.

For more News, follow us on Instagram @OnoBelloMedia @OBStreetStyle | Twitter: OnoBello | Facebook: OnoBello Magazine


Leave your views in comments box below

Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *