How N35, 000 Hospital Bill Led To Undergraduate’s Death, YABATECH Students Go On Rampage

YABATECH-OnoBello (1) The late Dazan Mautin Charity 

The students of the Yaba College Of Technology (YABATECH) went on rampage yesterday, protesting the death of a final year student at the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Ebute-Metta.

The late Dazan Mautin Charity Oluwabukola was an HND II student of Office Technology, Bilingual (French) who was preparing to conclude her final examinations next Monday before she fell ill.

According to reports gathered, Charity died as a result of negligence on the part of the institution’s Medical Centre which sparked the anger of students and led to the protest that saw the sing solidarity songs while displaying placards which read “This Nonsnse Must Stop”, “Injustice To One, Injustice To All”.

Narrating how Charity (who was a sickler) died, one of the students who rushed her to the hospital said: “We rushed her to the medical centre by 12noon yesterday (Tuesday).

“They told us there was no bed space and we waited for four hours before drugs were given her.”

He said although a doctor directed that she be admitted, a nurse sent them away, only for her case to get worse when they got to the hostel.

On returning to the centre at about 10p.m, they were referred to Federal Medical Centre, Ebute-Meta, where they were made to cough out N35,000 before treatment could begin.

It was while all these were going on that Charity passed on at about 2a.m. yesterday

Her last words as she was being conveyed to the Medical Centre was, “I’m dying, don’t call my mother, call only my sister”.



YABATECH-OnoBello (2) The deceased 

Giving their side of the story, the management of the institution said the school never took any step that ultimately compromised the life of the deceased; rather, it did all within its powers to preserve it.

In a statement by the school’s Director of Publications, Mr. Charles Oni, the late Dazan “had developed a crisis in the afternoon of Tuesday, February 9, 2016 and was temporary on admission at the College Medical Centre under close watch of the Centre’s management.

She was, however, discharged when her condition became stable so that she could prepare for her examination today (Wednesday). Sadly, the late Dazan’s crisis relapsed around midnight and her room mates rushed her back to the medical centre where precautionary medical attention was given to her, with a promise to refer her to the Federal Medical Centre at Ebute Metta as soon as the day breaks. She was being conveyed to the Federal Medical Centre early this morning when she gave up the ghost.”

The students during the protest held the front and back gate of the school and sealed up the administrative building.

See photos of the protesters below!



YABATECH-OnoBello (3) YABATECH-OnoBello (4) YABATECH-OnoBello (5) YABATECH-OnoBello (6)


Source: Vanguard | Guardian | Students

Photo credit: Student | Facebook (Aina Oluwag bemileke) 





Leave your views in comments box below. 













Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *