Lekki Shooting: Sanwo-Olu Admits Army’s Involvement, Says ‘People Would Be Held Accountable’

Governor Sanwo-Olu OnoBello

Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu has finally admitted that officers of the Nigerian Army were responsible for the violent crackdown on unarmed #EndSARS protesters at the Lekki Toll Plaza in Lagos state.

Recall that a military spokesman had earlier denied claims of soldiers being present at the toll gate during the Tuesday incident, stating that viral videos of the shooting were “photoshopped.”

However, speaking during an interview session with a CNN’s Becky Anderson on her show, “Connect the World with Becky Anderson programme” on Monday, Sanwo-Olu said the CCTV footage at the scene would be available for the State Judicial Panel of Enquiry to review as part of the investigation into the Lekki toll booth gun attack.

He also promised that after investigations, everyone found culpable of the act would be held accountable for their actions. “From the footage that we could see, it seems to be that men in military uniform, which should be Nigerians Army ordered the shooting,” he said.

“We will be committed to a full investigation of what happened and people would be held accountable. They certainly would be held accountable. We would do everything possible to ensure that they are held accountable.

The Governor continued, “People have claimed that their friends and family members have been killed. So, this Judicial Panel of Enquiry is meant to bring all of these stories to accountability; where we can make restitutions, where families can prove and indentify officers that were responsible for this.

“I am not the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces; I am Governor of a State. The report would be out and we would channel the report to all the relevant authorities in the state to ensure that every one that is found culpable is accountable for the act.”

Sanwo-Olu also debunked the insinuation that international pressure persuaded President Muhammadu Buhari and himself to finally speak out about what protesters demonstrated for so long in Lagos and in Nigeria on the #EndSARS campaign.

“There are no international pressures whatsoever. These are genuine protesters that we all believe and we all have knowledge about,” he said. “I was the first governor among governors with due respect to all my other colleagues who came out to meet with them, who started from the front. I carried the EndSARS flags with them. I met with them twice and we all had the rally together and worked together.”

The Governor also expressed confidence that there would be positive change as a result of what has happened in the past couple of days with protests in different parts of Nigeria by the youths. “I genuinely believe there would be change for two reasons. One, what has happened, especially in Lagos is extremely unimaginable,” he said.

“Number two is that it was a clarion call for all of us in government, especially understanding and realising what the youths truly want us to be doing. So, it hit all of us like a thunderbolt and it was just a wake-up call.”

According to Sanwo-Olu, he believes there will be ‘genuine reforms’ of police following the anti-police brutality protests.

Watch the interview below:

For more News, follow us on Instagram @OnoBelloMedia @OBStreetStyle | Twitter: OnoBello | Facebook: OnoBello Magazine


Leave your views in comments box below

Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *