A new Queen has emerged from the recently concluded Miss Nigeria USA 2016/17 beauty pageant.
The pageant week kicked off Monday, May 23rd with various activities including an Empowerment Workshop hosted by Ezinne Kwubiri at the MTV office in New York City. The two-day pageant finale started with the Miss Nigeria USA Charity Gala/Fund Raising Dinner on May 27th, 2016 at the John Jay Hall in Midtown Manhattan. The goal was to raise money for the Miss Nigeria USA Scholarship program in Nigeria. The girls also presented their individual platforms/pet projects to the judges and guests.
The finale held on May 28, 2016 at the Symphony Space Theater in Manhattan was a night to remember. The exciting event hosted by comedian, Aphrican Ape and Ojinika of Pix 11 News had a number of celebrities and known faces in attendance including DJ Cuppy, Prince AZK Adekoya ll, Ugonna Omeruo, Toyosi Phillips, Ernest Danjuma, Koby Brew, Lexx Ore, model Tamar Awobotu and many others. Nigerian crooner, Kcee thrilled the crowd with his performance and had the guests on their feet.
The pageant which had Osas Ighodaro-Ajibade, DPiper Twins, Ngozi Opara of Heat Free Hair, celebrity stylists Kanayo Ebi and Moses “Moashy” Ebite, Hana Unis, A.J Ross of ABC 7 News and Essence Magazine’s Charrea Jackson as judges, saw Miss Ekiti Lola Adeoye beat 17 other contestants to emerge winner.
With 18 finalists representing their states with grace and honor, the finalists competed in the Traditional Outfit, Swim Wear, Talent Display, Evening Gowns and Platform Presentation categories.
The new queen was crowned by the outgoing queen, Olutosin Araromi (Miss Nigeria USA 2015).
The Miss Nigeria USA Organization places priority on the importance of getting involved and giving back by providing a dedicated platform of charitable partnerships. As leaders and role models within their communities, our contestants volunteered at Northside Senior Center Home where they fed senior citizens on May 25th.
Here are 5 facts about Lola Adeoye:
- Her full name is Omolola Abeni Adeoye
- She is a 2014 alumna of the School of Communications, Howard University. Immediately following graduation, Lola entered Howard University School of Law, where she’s currently a 3rd year JD/MBA student.
- At Law School, Lola has the pleasure of serving as the President of the Sports and Entertainment Law Students Association and Graduate Student Assembly Secretary.
- She has had the pleasure of taking several intellectual property related courses which has solidified her interest in becoming an Entertainment Attorney.
- This past semester, she was honored to be a Student Attorney in the Intellectual Property and Trademark Clinic at the Howard Law Clinical Center, which gave her the experience needed to be selected as an intern in Viacom’s Business and Legal Affairs Department for BET Networks this summer.
- Outside Law School, Lola loves to serve her community through various avenues, including her church home Graceland Bible Faith and her beloved sorority, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.
- As Miss Nigeria USA 2016, Lola’s year of service will focus on her platform- Suicide and Depression Awareness and Prevention; an issue dear to her heart.
This platform aims to expand the Nigerian Suicide Prevention Initiative from Abuja into the remaining 35 states in Nigeria and to also lobby the Nigerian government to review and update the Mental Health Act which has not been reviewed since 1959! She hopes that through this, the stigma of Mental Health in Nigeria will be broken and Mental Health issues would be taken more seriously.
See photos from the pageant week below!
Written by Olufunke Edidi
Leave your views in comments box below.