Looting Continues In South Africa, 300 Nigerians Register For Evacuation

Loot

South African police said on Friday that they were on high alert monitoring the violence that erupted earlier in the week in some parts of the country leading to the death of foreigners and destruction of their property.

The Force also said that some persons who had been looting shops since Sunday had continued till date.

Police spokesperson, Brigadier Mathapelo Peters, said 74 persons were arrested in Katlehong on Thursday, bringing the total number of arrests since the violence erupted in Johannesburg to 497.

Peters said 11 people were killed during this period but that only seven had been directly linked to the incidents of violence.

Meanwhile, more than 300 Nigerians have registered for evacuation from South Africa following the approval given by the Federal Government that those interested in leaving the former apartheid country should indicate interest and be airlifted home free.

Spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ferdinand Nwonye, told one of our correspondents on Friday that over 300 Nigerians had registered for the exercise, adding that the time and date of departure would be disclosed later.

For more on News follow us on Instagram @OnoBello | Twitter: OnoBello | Facebook: OnoBello Magazine

Leave your views in comments box below

Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *