On today’s episode of OB Cuisine, food blogger Kemi of K’s Cuisine is sharing the recipe to her delicious Orange chicken. The Asian Citrus Chicken delicacy is made with deep-fried battered boneless chicken bites smothered in a sweet tangy orange sauce.
According to another blogger Sisi Jemimah, “Orange chicken is fast and easy and easy to prepare and absolutely delicious, preparation should take 30 minutes thereabouts.”
See recipe below.
Ingredients For the Chicken
- 750g boneless chicken (Thighs preferably)
- Vegetable Oil
- 70g Corn starch/ Cornflour
- 50g Plain flour
- 1.5 Tablespoon Chicken Seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Ingredients For The Orange Sauce:
- 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Dry Sherry/ Rice Wine/ Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Cold Chicken Stock
- 2 Tablespoons Brown/White Sugar
- 3 Cloves Garlic Minced
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Crushed Red Chilli Flakes
- 2 Fresh Big Oranges, Juiced
- 1 Orange Zest
- 2 Tablespoon Toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 Stalk of Spring Onions, Chopped,
- First, clean and chop the chicken into bite size pieces, then marinate with the Garlic Powder, and 1 Tablespoon chicken seasoning. Leave to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Mix the Orange juice, Dry Sherry/Rice Wine, Sugar/honey, Chicken Stock and Orange zest together and set aside. Break and mix the Egg with the White Pepper, half teaspoon Chicken Seasoning and Salt. Measure a tablespoon of the Corn starch/Cornflour and set that aside. Then mix the Plain Flour with the rest of the Corn Starch/Cornflour…
- Now, dip each Chicken into the Egg mix….Then into the Flour mix, making sure they’re well coated. Set them aside when they’re all done…Place a deep pan on a hob on low to medium heat, add enough oil to deep fry the Chicken. When it’s hot, fry the Chicken in batches, be careful not to overcrowd the wok or you’ll end up with soggy Chicken….
- Fry the Chicken till golden brown, then set aside…Now, place a wok on medium heat, when it’s hot, add 2 Tablespoons Vegetable oil, then add the minced Garlic and Ginger, sauté till fragrant, be careful not to burn the Garlic…Then add the Crushed Chilli Pepper Flakes and Spring Onions, sauté for a minute…Then add the Orange Sauce mixture, stir till well combined, about 30 seconds…
- Then mix the Tablespoon of Corn starch/ Cornflour you set aside earlier with 1/4 cup of water and gradually pour into the wok, stir continuously then add the Sesame Oil and the Soy Sauce, switch the heat off and leave to simmer for a minute…It’s ready.
Enjoy with Fried or Boiled Rice, especially Jasmine Rice.
For more on Cuisine, follow us on Instagram @OnoBello @OBStreetStyle | Twitter: OnoBello | Facebook: OnoBello Magazine
Leave your views in comments box below