Talk about an easy breakfast recipe and the first thing that comes our mind is the Plantain and Egg Frittata recipe.
Today’s Cuisine features food blogger and chef, Zeelicious of Zeelicious Foods as she takes us through this salivating breakfast meal experience. The dish is said to take about 25 minutes to prepare. See the recipe below.
- 3 ripe plantains
- 3 table spoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, thinly sliced
- ½ medium red bell pepper, cut in strips
- ½ medium green bell pepper, cut in strips
- ½ medium yellow bell pepper, cut in strips
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon thyme
- 1 seasoning cube
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup chopped sausage
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying the plantain
- Heat up 2 cups of vegetable oil in a frying pan.
- Wash ripe plantain thoroughly and peel off the skin . In a mixing bowl, cut the plantain into preferred shape and size, sprinkle salt to taste and mix thoroughly to combine.
- Next gently drop plantain piece after piece into the hot oil but be careful not to over crowd the pan so the temperature of the oil doesn’t drop. Fry on both sides for 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside.
- In a skillet, heat up olive oil on medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic for 1 minute. Next, add tomatoes and leave to simmer for 2 minutes. Then add curry powder, thyme, seasoning cube, ground pepper, sausage and salt to taste. Stir and leave to cook for another 3 minutes on medium heat.
- Finally, add bell peppers, stir and allow to simmer for 2 minutes, then take off heat and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs and add sautéed vegetables, season with salt and pepper if necessary. Stir to combine.
- Coat frying pan with cooking spray or melted butter or vegetable oil. Then pour the egg mixture into the frying pan. Lay the fried plantain gently on top of the egg mixture and cover the frying pan with a lid and place on low heat, leave to cook for 20 minutes. It is important that you cover the frying pan with a lid and your heat is set to the lowest so that the frittata doesn’t burn.
- From the lid, you can see that the egg mixture is starting to firm up.
When it is completely firmed up, especially in the center, take off the lid and allow to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Photo Credit: Zeeliciousfoods.com
For more on Cuisine, follow us on Instagram @OnoBello | Twitter: OnoBello | Facebook: OnoBello Magazine
Leave your views in comments box below