Have you been thinking of ways to spice up your regular Jollof Rice?
Well, thanks to this post by Chef Ozoz also known as the ‘Kitchen Butterfly’, who would never have thought that our Jollof could be transformed into a sushi worthy piece when paired with dry fish.
According to the Kitchen Butterfly: “this concept is about sushi, Japanese rice rolls. Years ago, I attended a sushi workshop in the Netherlands and fell in love with the perfect bites of rice wrapped in seaweed sheets. Here, I’ve combined ‘traditional’, palm-oil based flavours using gorgeous dry fish skin instead of the nori sheets, smoky rice and fresh herbs to create delicious rolls.”
Let’s dig in.
- Dry Fish skin washed, trimmed and set aside which became the ‘seaweed sheets’. I made some with scent leaves laid on, and some without. I thought I’d up the herby, citrusy flavours.
- Local Jollof, Palm-oil Jollof is a specialty, a delicacy. I love to make mine with lots of scent leaves with flaked dry fish folded in.
- Scent leaves
- Hot sauce
- Herbs to garnish
- I cooked the rice, cleaned my fish skin then laid out some cling film. Fish skin went on the clingfilm and then I part-lined the fish skin with fresh scent leaves.
- Which then got wrapped in the cling film, like a sausage. I put it in the freezer for a few hours because I wanted it to ‘set’ and hold. Once it was time to plate, I warmed the roll in a saucepan of water till it was heated through, about 5 – 8 minutes.
- I then cut the wrap into small bites, ready for the next step. And then, plating began – I smeared some pepper sauce in the center of a plate. Followed by the crispy fish floss and skin.
- The crispy herbs/ scent leaves were next and then I topped the central rice roll with waterleaf flowers.
Now, this is one amazingly unique and creative way to serve the Jollof rice. We are looking forward to trying this and can’t wait to see yours when you try it!
For more on Cuisine, follow us on Instagram @OBStreetStyle | Twitter: OnoBello | Facebook: OnoBello Magazine
Leave your views in comments box below