Plateau Government Imposes Curfew As Over 100 Shot Dead In Massive Attack

police-696x434

The Plateau state government has imposed a curfew on Riyom, Barakin Ladi and Jos south local government areas of the state following the deaths of over 100 persons in an attack on Saturday night.

According to Ladi Choji, Chairman of Berom Youth Movement, over 100 persons were killed while houses, including churches, were torched.

He said 31 corpses were recovered from Gashish village, 42 others from different villages in Barkin Ladi as he blamed the attack on suspected herdsmen.

“I believe that this attack was carefully planned by the herdsmen in collaboration with some military personnel who aided the attack,” he said.

“We have recovered 34 corpses from Gana Ropp and 8 from Gashis while several others have not been recovered.

“The corpses would be close to 100 because apart from 42 corpses that we have recovered, we are mobilising people to go into the villages to pick other corpses corpses that have not been recovered.”

Reacting, Rufus Bature, Secretary to the state government, announced the curfew on Sunday afternoon saying movements in the three local government areas would be restricted between 6pm and 6am.

On his part, Yakubu Dati, Commissioner of Information, said government had mobilised the “full compliments” of security forces to restore normalcy in the affected areas.

“Government is deeply pained that despite concerted efforts which had led to the restoration of relative peace across the state, some unpatriotic elements are bent on disrupting the gains so far made,” he said in a statement.

 

 

 


 

Leave your views in comments box below.

Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *