Ray Rice’s Wife Blames Media For ‘Horrible Nightmare’ Caused By Video Release

Janay Rice, the wife of the suspended running back Ray Rice, said on Tuesday that both of them regretted the incident that led to him punching her unconscious, and described the publication of a video of the tussle as a “horrible nightmare”.

OnoBello

Watch video

Speaking for the first time since Ray Rice was cut by his team, the Baltimore Ravens, and handed an indefinite ban by the National Football League on Monday, Janay Rice said the media had exploited the incident for ratings while ruining her husband’s career.

The statement came amid questions about when the NFL first saw the Rice video, and whether the league made a concerted effort to view it. When the incident first came to light in February, Rice was suspended for two games, despite a police report that made clear the severity of the punch that floored his then fiancée.

“I woke up this morning feeling like I had a horrible nightmare,” said Janay Rice, in a response delivered via Instagram. “No one knows the pain that the media & unwanted options [sic] from the public has caused my family,” she said.

“To make us relive a moment in our lives that we regret everyday is a horrible thing. To take something away from the man I love that he has worked his ass off for all his life just to gain ratings is a horrific [sic]. THIS IS OUR LIFE!” Rice said. “If your intentions were to hurt us, embarrass us, make us feel alone, take all happiness away, you’ve succeeded on so many levels.” She ended with a reference to Ravens fans, saying: “Ravens nation we love you!”

Janay Rice

 

The 15 February incident was widely covered by the media after celebrity gossip site TMZ released a video from outside an elevator at Revel Casino in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The video showed Rice dragging his then fiancee, Janay Palmer, out of an elevator unconscious.

Rice was charged with felony assault, but New Jersey prosecutors approved Rice’s entry into a pretrial diversionary program rather than pursue charges. As a result of the first video, Rice was suspended for two games by the NFL and received support from the Ravens team, moves widely criticized.

In one recent example, the team on Monday deleted a tweet saying, “Janay Rice says she deeply regrets the role she played the night of the incident.”

Riding on this,the White House released a statement Monday night strongly condemning domestic violence

OnoBello

Obama congratulates Rice – who’s on the President’s right –team in 2013

The statement, released by Press Secretary Josh Earnest, said:

The President is the father of two daughters. And like any American, he believes that domestic violence is contemptible and unacceptable in a civilized society. Hitting a woman is not something a real man does, and that’s true whether or not an act of violence happens in the public eye, or, far too often, behind closed doors. Stopping domestic violence is something that’s bigger than football – and all of us have a responsibility to put a stop to it.

Josh Ernest

The statement did not mention Rice by name, but came in response to a question from Fox News reporter Ed Henry earlier in the day.

Credits: USA Today | Theguardian.com |TMZ

 

Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *