Synagogue Building Collapse: 67 South Africans Died, Woman Walks Out Of Rubble Unhurt 96 Hours

OnoBello

Overseer of SCOAN -Pastor TB Joshua

As the death toll in the collapsed building of the Synagogue Church of All Nation (SCOAN) continues to rise, South African President, Jacob Zuma, yesterday said 67 South Africans have been confirmed dead in the disaster.

Zuma’s disclosure has however, raised questions about the figure of 63 casualties released by the emergency agencies especially by the Nigeria’s National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA). 

OnoBello

South African President, Jacob Zuma

He said:

I am greatly saddened to announce that 67 South Africans died and scores of others sustained injuries. This is a particularly a difficult time for South Africa.

Not in the recent history of our country have we had this large number of our people died in one incident outside the country.

Our thoughts are with the families, friends and colleagues who have lost their loved ones in this heart-breaking tragedy.

The whole nation shares the pain of the mothers, fathers, daughters and sons who have lost their loved ones. We are all in grief.

We have directed relevant government departments and entities to act with the utmost urgency to ensure that the presidency facilitate the movement of relevant family members to Nigeria, to identify the bodies.

Government will keep the public informed of developments around this tragedy. We pledge that the government would provide all the necessary support to affected families.

He also sent condolences to the people of Nigeria and all other nations affected by this tragedy, adding that: “I would like to assure all affected families that the government will provide all the necessary support.

Jacob Zuma

 

OnoBello

 Meanwhile, NEMA yesterday said the death toll had increased to 62.

However, According to THISDAY those with various degrees of injury were either taken to Igando General Hospital, Lagos State Teaching Hospital or Orthopaedic Hospital Igbobi, while the dead were taken to the morgue of the Isolo General Hospital.

However, what could be described as a miracle happened yesterday Tuesday when a 45-year-old woman, whose identity was not revealed, walked out of the rubble unaided, 96 hours (four days) after the building collapsed.

Her rescue now brings to about 131 persons who have so far been rescued since the incident occurred last Friday, while the death toll was said to have increased to 62 following the recovery of 12 more dead bodies yesterday.

 

Credit: ThisDaylive | Premium Times

 

Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *