The Federal Government has reportedly directed the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) to stop the transmission of popular reality TV show, Big Brother Naija.
According to TheCable, Lai Mohammed, the Minister of Information and Culture said the need to stop the reality show, which entered its fifth season on July 20, became imperative due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Acting Director-General of the NBC, Armstrong Idachaba, on Wednesday told senior management members of the commission during a meeting that he had been directed by the minister to shut down the show.
Several online reports are also speculating that the Minister wanted the letter shutting down the show to come from the NBC because of the general opinion that he is bent on sending MultiChoice Ltd, producers of the show, out of Nigeria.
However from the meeting that the NBC had on July 1, a director who sought an explanation from Multichoice Ltd on a possible violation of COVID-19 protocol with the airing of the show received a subsequent reply that noted the measures taken to forestall any protocol violation advised by the Presidential Task Force on Covid-19.
The organisers also added that the Lagos State Safety Commission gave approval for the show. According t them, the housemates went through mandatory two-week isolation before the commencement of the show and that the BBN House had been disinfected and rearranged to ensure physical distancing, in addition to the elimination of live audience.
Idachaba, was, however, yet to convey the minister’s directive to the organisers of the show.
For more News, follow us on Instagram @OnoBelloMedia @OBStreetStyle | Twitter: OnoBello | Facebook: OnoBello Magazine
Leave your views in comments box below