On Monday, THISDAY reported that Nigeria’s former President, Goodluck Jonathan had gone on temporary self exile in Cote d’Ivoire following reports that the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) may arrest him on his arrival in Nigeria from his overseas tour on allegations of corruption and misappropriation of billions of dollars in the five years during which he was Head of State.
According to multiple sources lose to the former president, Jonathan had sought refuge last week in the West African country, also blamed the heightened attacks on oil and gas installations by Ijaw militants in the Niger Delta, resulting in the loss of an estimated 800,000-900,000 barrels of crude oil per day (bpd), to what they claimed was “the decision by President Muhammadu Buhari to renege on his promise that his predecessor had ‘nothing to fear’ from him (Buhari) after he handed over the reins of power on May 29, 2015”.
However, yesterday, Goodluck Jonathan refuted THISDAY’s report that he had gone on exile. Though confirming that he was indeed out of the country and had travelled to some cities in the United States of America, then departed for London before arriving Cote d’Ivoire via Paris, he however maintained that he hadn’t gone into exile.
During his phone call to THISDAY, when reminded that attempts had been made to reach him to verify the allegations, he said: “So what… I am not in exile. I am here resting.”
“Yes I am in Cote d’Ivoire, I have been here for a week resting and this is my second trip to the country since I stepped down as president,” he added.
“I have made sacrifices for Nigeria. I am praised all over Africa for averting bloodshed and for the peaceful transition from one government to another, but it seems Nigeria does not appreciate my efforts.
“I have done my best for this country and if I have to die for it, I will do so. However, I am taking it easy here (Cote d’Ivoire) and when I am ready, I will come back,” he said.
Leave your views in comments box below.