Lassa Fever: Ogun State Puts 181 Under Surveillance As 1 Dies



Ogun State has confirmed the death of one Eze, a 28-year-old woman and an Ebonyi State indigene, who was diagnosed of Lassa fever few weeks ago, but died on Saturday after nine days of intensive medical treatment.
So far, 181 persons, who had primary contacts with the as a cross-border patient, had been put under medical surveillance by the Ogun State Ministry of Health.

The state recorded the first case of Lassa fever through the diagnosis of  Eze (surname withheld), who travelled from Ebonyi State to Abeokuta weeks ago, and was put at the isolation unit of Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital (OOUTH).

Speaking at an emergency press briefing in Abeokuta on Sunday evening, Babatunde Ipaye, the state commissioner for health, disclosed that Eze, the first patient diagnosed of Lassa fever in the state, died on Saturday night and the processes leading to her burial had commenced after the state had got necessary consents and approvals from her family.

“Ogun state government under the leadership of Senator Ibikunle Amosun CON, FCA, announces regrettably, the death of the first case of Lassa fever in Ogun State today (Sunday). We have contacted the family and gotten necessary consents and approvals to bury the remains according to WHO guidelines and the national protocol,” he said.

“The government through the State Ministry of Health took full responsibility for the care of this patient that travelled in, from Ebonyi state to Ogun state on the 15th January, 2016. Patient Eze was admitted into the isolation unit of Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital, which was specifically equipped, staffed and funded by Ogun state government to manage confirmed cases of Lassa in the course of this national epidemic.

“Notwithstanding that this case was imported into Ogun state after we have mounted significant public awareness and active surveillance; upon confirmation at a private hospital in Ota, Patient Eze received the best of medical attentions from varying numbers of medical specialists, well-trained nurses, volunteer medical officers and several well-kitted support staff.

“The patient has received a nine-day course of Ribavirin, potent antibiotics, appropriate blood transfusions and necessary psychosocial support. We were only waiting to celebrate the completion of medication today and take a blood sample to confirm cure when unexpected complications set in on Saturday and that eventually took her life.”

Source: THE WILL




Leave your views in comments box below. 











Share this

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *